The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Canopy

____________________________________
About "In Harness" a critique by a talented reader, Dr. Soubhagya Pathy, Avanti, E-49/1386, Phase.II Bhimatangi, Bhubaneswar-751002, Tel.+91 674 2590212/2592895 E mail:journal_angarag@yahoo.com, had the following words to say:  

Nanda is a poet of the body; and an explorer of the labyrinths of the minds, the devious delving and twisting of the ego, and the ceaseless attempt of man and poet to define himself, to find through all the myth and maze a way to honesty and love. The poet sounds impulsive, intuitive, contemplative and gratified. His poems are a healthy release of his choked passions. His compositions show him being inspired from within, avoiding the inanity and stuffedness. Nanda’s poetry is not all inspiration; it is also a difficult craft, mastered with trying and painstaking efforts. His poems are written with metrical accuracy and hunting rhythms, displaying a fine structural unity and organization.

The link for the above review of Dr Pathy is available here. Today as I reread these words I feel nostalgic. I fail to gauge how far have I drifted from my muse. Aha! The good ol'days of words rhyming in me.
_______________________________________

The Canopy
 ==========
The Heaven isn’t going to fall
For Heaven’s sake, we all are under a concrete roof
safe and secured.
Our heads are well protected
under a hat, made to order
for a price little more than affordable.
Heaven is so near; we could’ve hardly believed it
It’s just above our head
We can touch it, atop a low wooden scaffold.
Why should we live as the celestial bodies?
We’re special; we’re superior; we’re prone to pollutions;
Hence a separate pigeonhole for everybody.
A visual break is a must
Life is void; it comes out of void; it goes back to void--
These are all trash, at least difficult to comprehend
Life is all that happens under the flat concrete
suspended firmly in the reachable space.
We have to limit our dreams
In dream even we can’t go to dizzy heights
We fear-- a fall is a finish
We need to live under a concrete ceiling.
=============


Bhubaneswar 
23-07-2003

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger SK said...

Nice blog. I appreciate this.

10:00 PM  
Blogger NS said...

Dear sir
“The canopy”is the poem deserved for admiration by such talented personality like Dr. Soubhagya Pathy
“Life is void; it comes out of void; it goes back to void” is such a fine philosophical line to catch all minds. With my little knowledge I understood that EGO in negative sense is the main cause of all evils for the mankind. But the poem eloquently moving beyond my understanding to express more.
“ In dream even we can’t go to dizzy heights” .These words depicts how constraint we are and our limits are so defined. Am I correct sir?

----------- N.SUBRAMANIAN TIRUPUR

6:59 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thanks NS. It's good to see u articulating your impression on my poem. In fact, if I'm to recall what my inspiration was at the the time of writing this poem, I'd like to only hint at that by quoting these three lines that did justice to my thought then:

Life is all that happens under the flat concrete
Suspended firmly in the reachable space
..............
We need to live under a concrete ceiling.

I agree NS, both our existence and excellence are characterised by their limits...and they are as true as our existence is. However, we're free to push our limits but then again it's possible only to an extent. Thanks.

5:31 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Mr Arul, should I say that it is not a news? It's a poem. Anyway thanks.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home