The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Suitable Boy

=============================
Some five years ago when I was trying, in my humble way, to promote my book "The Remix of Orchid" a humorous thought had occurred to me. I had developed this post on that idea and had posted it in my other blog which is defunct these days. I thought I could revisit that. The attraction of humour is always great for me--say a plain and simple humour. And the best in the genre of humour, in my opinion, is the one that the author creates to laugh at oneself.
============================== 
I promote myself writing a book; I promote the book writing a blog; I promote the blog writing SPAMs—is there an end to such promotion spree? Honestly, there could be no end to this when means of promotion itself needs to be promoted so doggedly!

I’ve a joke to share here. It’s a joke intended to blend writing with selling, something I should need now badly. The joke goes like this:

A writer is at his wits’ end, not knowing how to sell the unsold books. (Obviously he is one like me who has chosen the self-publication route.)

But one day he did something and all his books were sold out.

How?

He just gave an ad in the matrimonial column. Yes, of all places he chose a matrimonial column to sell his book:

"Match needed for a successful software professional in a Fortune 500 company earning 10k plus and settled in the States with a permanent visa. The girl need not be an extraordinarily beautiful one; she may not be even highly educated; but she should have all the qualities of an Indian women, qualities that are beautifully portrayed in Shalini, the leading lady of the novel ‘I’m Made For U, Darling’ by Sam Sunder.”

No wonder “I’m Made For U, Darling” became a blockbuster overnight.
----------------------------
By
A. N. Nanda
Coimbatore
20-08-2012
----------------------------

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger NS said...

Dear Sir,
Even though “ A suitable boy “ is a humorous write-up, yet it is thought provoking. “Winners don't do different things, They do things differently” are the winning words by Shiv khare . Creating curiosity on a subject we want to promote is the way to win and the quantum of success is directly proportional to the created curiosity.

The author of the novel “I’ Made For U, Darling” is a good business man rather than a good writer. He may not be a good producer, but tactful marketer deserves appreciation.
Thanks for nice post
---------- N.Subramanian , Tirupur

10:15 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

There are, of course, more humorous situations in real life. Say in 2010 Book Fair in Patna I found one self-published author offering a mango sapling free with every book. In Port Blair I had seen a shop selling books and commodes. There was one book release function in which the number of people in the audience was two whereas the dignitaries on the dais was ten. I was one among the two in the audience and the other one was the author's wife. And quite funnily, I was upgraded from the status of audience to that of an invited guest. So the audience finally consisted of one person, that was the author's wife!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home