The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Monday, November 02, 2009

Mongrel

---------------------------------------
This is a poem I wrote in 2005. Then I thought it would need extensive tweaking before it expressed something poetic. During last four years, I could not return there. Today as I run short of text to feed my emaciated blog, I decided to visit my old stuff. Surprisingly, the poem does not scare me. I feel I can show it to others, even in this form--sans polish, sans adornment.
---------------------------------------
Mongrel

==========
Now many have started telling me
They’ve seen me somewhere
They don’t remember it for sure
But I believe them they don’t lie.

Of late I’ve a feeling that bothers me
I find the same persons again and again
Inside the coach of a train
or while passing through a subway.

I see the same sun rising even now
But lackluster, nasty, and malignant
Rising to set and that’s the ultimate
It’s darkness—and darkness for life's sake!

Now more of them whiz past me
Daring to follow them
I can’t do that now
I’m just a mongrel, homeward.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Berhampur
6-7-2009
_______________________
By
A. N. Nanda
Muzaffarpur

03-11-2009

_______________________

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melyong said...

Hi Uncle Nanda,

Been a long time eh?

This stanza is beautiful

"Now more of them whiz past me
Daring to follow them
I can’t do that now
I’m just a mongrel, homeward. "

and I've got to say...

Daring is a step,
Not many take,
A gamble,
That none know of.

Thanks for that lovely stanza

3:36 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thanks Melly. It's great to see you back.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home