The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Reluctant Announcement

=======================================
I'm a little hesitant yet I cannot delay the announcement any further. It is about my next book. Hold it, it is not about "The Roadshow" , for I could not sustain my progress over these months to come up with the finished product. The work still continues as per the scheme I declared at my earlier post "The Narrator"…and I should be able to do something about this only in the coming year. Now I am going to share that my next book "VIRASAT" [ISBN 978-81-7525-982-9] is almost ready and doing the last round of its polishing forage. As the name suggests, it is going to be a book in Hindi--it's my maiden attempt to pen something in national lingua franca.

Why I had to write in Hindi, and not in English? "The Roadshow", had it been completed by now, would have been my third book in English in a row! Well, there's nothing special about my decision to try something in Hindi. I just thought I should prove myself: I continue to be favoured by Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning; I can push myself to the limit of my ability; I have people waiting in new areas with their love and encouragement… . I want to assure the lovers of the national lingua franca that their effort to disseminate the language is really bearing fruit. Or else how would a person whose mother tongue is not Hindi, who has actually not studied the language with all the rules of its rigorous grammar and its rich literary resources ever venture to pen something in that medium?

There is another consideration behind this effort. I intend to share a part of my creativity among the people with whom I'm working. Yes, "VIRASAT" is going to be a collection of twenty-seven short stories and all of them are drawn from the historical organization called post office. We have in this volume humour and tragedy, pride and despondency, quibble and sanctimony--the book should appeal everybody that has ever valued the tradition of unadorned story-telling. Let me quote a few lines of text even though they are still being assayed through.

आज वक़्त गया की हम डाक की रूमानी यादों को रोमन्थन करें, उन ऐतिहासिक पलों की यादें ताज़ा करें जब चिठ्ठियों के सहारे समय का मोड़ बदल जाता थाआज नहीं तो कल इस ऐतिहासिक संस्था को मरना होगा... या तो इसे पुनर्जन्म लेना होगाइस बदलाव की संगीन घड़ी में जन्म लिया है यह मार्मिक सृजन, "विरासत" । सत्ताईस कहानियों के माध्यम से लेखक यह कहना चाहता है की हमें अपना इतिहास भुलाना नहीं चाहिए, तरक्की की घमंड से बसा-बसाया आशियाना उजाड़ना नहीं चाहिएअनुष्ठान पुनर्जन्म ले सकता है, इन्सान का पुनर्जन्म हो सकता हैबस, चाहिए विश्वास और विश्वास की रूहानी ताकत

This is going to be a self-published volume, for whatever it may mean to all those involved in book business. With the experience I got from "The Remix of Orchid", I should not falter in circulating some 5 thousand copies. The publishers could only go to the extent of saying "प्रयास सराहनीय है" and not beyond that. Now it is my baby, I should take its care.
_______________________________________
By
A. N. Nanda
Muzaffarpur
19-09-2008
_______________________________________

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

प्रयास सराहनीय है। लिखिये हिंदी में। बहुत आसान है।

10:32 PM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

मैं आपके प्रोत्साहन से बहुत प्रेरित हूँ, अनूप जी । आप हमें ऐसे ही आशीर्वाद देते रहें, यही है मेरी मनोकामना ।

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home